Friday, July 23, 2010

Day Three: Lima

I am looking back now, at the end of two weeks of travel and recounting the events that transpired...

After passing the night on a bus as it traversed the dry, desert terrain of southern Perú, I arrived in Lima and took a cab to the hotel Chris and I had booked (the Inka Frog). The winter weather in Lima was cool and damp, with perpetually gray, cloud-filled skies. It was still early, around 10 in the morning, and I was concerned that they wouldn't let me check in yet. However, the young man working the desk was very accommodating saying the room would be ready by noon and I could wait if I liked. He was one of the first Peruvians I dealt directly with, and I found that I could understand him infinitely better in Spanish than anyone in Chile. I would come to learn that nearly everyone was easier to understand in Perú versus in Chile.

While the room was being made ready, I set out into the city to get the lay of the land. We were staying in the district of Miraflores, which is the clean, upscale part of Lima. I was blown away to find spectacular seaside shopping plazas, meticulously manicured parks, and no dogs wandering the streets. I even found Dunkin Donuts, with real DD coffee. I bought a cup and tried to pay with some of the change the cab driver had given me. The girl took my 5 soles coin and immediately shook her head, telling me it was fake. I exclaimed surprise and she went on to educate me as to how to tell the difference between the counterfeit and the genuine soles.

After exploring the majestic cliffs that overlook Lima's pebbly beaches and watching the surfers for a while, I went to grab a quick bite to eat and return to the hostel. The final of the world cup was on at 1:30, and I wanted to get showered up and watch it in the hotel room. On the way back, I passed through a park named in honor of JFK and witnessed crowds of people massed in front of a giant screen set to show the final. Groups of Spaniards were going around hugging everyone and singing. By the time I made it back to the Inka Frog, my room was ready and the game was about to start. I showered the bus stink off of me and hunkered down to watch what was an extremely long, and not very impressive match, which Spain won. I was then obligated to go buy bus tickets for the next night and thus headed back out wearing a Spanish T-shirt (it is red and reads España with the bull logo on it.) People were driving around honking and waving Spanish flags, blowing horns, and celebrating all over the city. I got a few shout outs because of my shirt as well.

That night, I was on the laptop when the door opened and in walked Brandon and Chris, fresh from the Lima airport. The trio was together at last, and I welcomed them to the third world with cans of awful Brazilian beer (the only thing on hand). We toasted to our future journey, drank a swig while cringing. We were all hungry, and I took BT and Chris out into the city but the only thing we could find open was a McDonalds. It was disappointing that the first meal we shared together in South America was from an American fast food joint, but it was at least distinctly Peruvian with many tasty, and very spicy pepper sauces to choose from. I tried to pay with my fake coin, and once again the girl caught it immediately. We then returned to the Inka Frog and passed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment